Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and City Council President Nury Martinez this week called for the resignation of Council Member Jose Huizar after federal prosecutors announced a former Huizar aide has agreed to plead guilty to a corruption charge and will cooperate with the FTB in a continuing investigation.
The investigation involves allegations that city officials took bribes from developers. Huizar, whose home and offices were searched by the FBI in November 2018, has not been charged with a crime.
In a statement issued May 28, Garcetti said, “I’m sickened by the bribery and corruption described in federal indictments, and I support Council President Nury Martinez’s call for Jose Huizar to step down. … All city employees must uphold the highest moral and ethical standards, and elected officials have a special responsibility to the people who entrust them with power. Mr. Huizar has lost that trust, and I hope and expect that any wrongdoing will be exposed and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”
Earlier this month, Martinez asked Huizar not to attend council meetings. Huizar has complied with the request.
This week, Martinez said: “The increasing level of greed, corruption and deception laid out in federal documents has not only disgusted me personally, it clearly and understandably has shaken our fellow Angelenos’ faith in their local government. [The May 27] indictment directly implicates Council member Huizar and his illegal, offensive and absolute abuse-of-power dealings with a Council District 14 staffer. He should resign immediately.” (Source: City News Service, May 28.)